Jun 6, 2016

Unpopular Bookish Opinions

The "unpopular bookish opinions" tag has been making the rounds in all the Finnish writing blogs I read, and it sounded fun, so I thought I'd give it a shot. What the heck, I'm on vacation


1. A Popular Book or series that you didn't like.

Wuthering Heights. Just truly unpleasant. I wrote a whole blog post about this, so I won't go into more detail here.


2. A Popular Book or series that every one else seems to hate but you love. 

I'm a bit embarrassed about this one, but Scarlett, Alexandra Ripley's sequel to Mitchell's Gone With the Wind. I read it as a teen and it just stuck.

3. A Love Triangle where the main character ended up with the person you did NOT want them to end up with (warn ppl for spoilers) OR an OTP that you don't like. 

Ron and Hermione. I still don't get it.


4. A popular book Genre that you hardly reach for. 

Medical thrillers/mysteries, like the Kay Scarpetta books. I just don't like reading about realistic violence, autopsies, and serial killers. And a lot of these start to feel very formulaic to me after a few volumes.


5. A popular or beloved character that you do not like.

Heathcliff. What a jerk.


6. A popular author that you can't seem to get into. 

Stephen Baxter. He writes hard science fiction, emphasis on the "hard." I struggled to finish Time, couldn't muster up the energy for Space. Interesting ideas, but too much of a science lecture masquerading as a novel.

7. A popular book trope that you're tired of seeing. (examples "lost princess", corrupt ruler, love triangles, etc.)

The Hero's Journey in its most basic form. You know, the whole "chosen one" thing. Okay for a video game, but as I get older I'm starting to prefer a main character who knows what she's doing and is already an interesting person instead of a blank slate.


8. A popular series that you have no interest in reading.

Fifty Shades of Grey. Not my thing.


9. The saying goes "The book is always better than the movie", but what movie or T.V. show adaptation do you prefer more than the book?

Hmm. That's a tough one. There's lots of movies that are worse than the book, but better? Even "as good" is a tall order, but Howl's Moving Castle and the LOTR trilogy come to mind. Okay, here's one: I actually enjoy Jeeves and Wooster more as a T.V. show. But I like the books too, so . . .

Anybody out there who hasn't done this one yet? Tag, you're it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, stranger. What's on your mind?