Aug 28, 2015

Laurie R. King and Sherlock Holmes




I confess, I'm a bit of a romantic, and romance isn't something you see a lot of in Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories. If you, too, have a thing for the Victorian detective, you might like Laurie R. King's Mary Russell books. Most re-imaginings of a classic aren't that successful, but I love these. King really seems to connect with the character, and her protagonist Mary Russell is formidable, to say the least. The series is great until Locked Rooms, but I don't love the newer books as much as the early ones. And they are mainly mysteries, not romance, but that element is present.

King's Holmes owes a lot to Jeremy Brett, and that's the way I like it. Anybody else a Jeremy Brett gal/guy? Or do you all like Cumberbatch?

To those making gagging noises right now, go check out Neil Gaiman's brilliant short story A Study in Emerald. I can pretty much guarantee you'll love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, stranger. What's on your mind?