Dec 21, 2015

My Favourite Christmas Books

                               

It's almost Christmas, so I thought I'd share some of my favourite Christmas stories with you. A Christmas Carol  is an obvious choice, I know, but I love it. Ghosts, Victorian Christmas traditions, and Dickens' quirky characters. What more do you need?


                               

This is one of the very first books I read in English, bought at a school book fair. It's about an animal activist who takes in a stray cat on Christmas Eve. If you like cats, you'll love this one. 

                              

This is actually the second book of Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising series, but it has a wonderful description of an English family Christmas in it. (And magic, and the Old Ones, and chills, thrills and adventure. If you haven't read the series, go for it. It's amazing.) 

                              

Not sold? How about a Christmas in Narnia, where Santa brings swords and daggers to all the good little children? I think this is a book you need to have read as a child to enjoy it fully. The allegory can feel a bit heavy-handed to an adult.

So, those are my picks. What about you? What's your favourite Christmas book?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, stranger. What's on your mind?