Jun 22, 2015

A Year of Writing: A Reckoning

I've been writing actively for about a year now, and I got curious: how much have I actually written? So, I decided to do some calculations.

In Finnish 
32 210 words, or 11 short stories, however you want to count it.

20 critiques for my Finnish critique group.

In English
 43 290 words, or 10 short stories. (I'm only counting the finished ones)
1 20 000 word fanfic.
Assorted drabbles, blog posts, and writing exercises.

61 Critters critiques.

So that's about 100 000 words. 

I don't know if that's good or bad. I do have a full-time job, so that cuts back on my writing time.

Results?

Two of my stories have been accepted for publication. Three drabbles were just accepted for publication by SpeckLit.

I entered five Finnish writing competitions, and made it into the final round in two of them, although I didn't make the final cut. One competition is still ongoing, so I don't know about that one yet.

I hope I'm learning to be a better writer. At least I think there's been some improvement. It's kind of hard to be objective about this.

My goals for the next year?

To keep writing and learning about writing.

To challenge myself and try new things.

To complete the first draft of a novel.

To read lots and lots and lots, fiction and non-fiction, poetry, philosophy, non-western writers, and writers from minority groups, and  to read outside my comfort zone.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, stranger. What's on your mind?